Moderators: LondonTheatreUK, andre184, FireFuryFlame

Toru771
Supporting Cast Member
Toru771
Supporting Cast Member

6:07 PM - Aug 28, 2008 #61

I think another important thing to consider is how the makers of the film will try to balance the varying aspects of the film. After all, it's not only a musical drama, but also a thriller, a mystery, a 'quest' story, and more.

I remember watching a 'behind-the-scenes' feature for the new Battlestar Galactica series where one of the creators said it's important to remember that Sci-Fi isn't a genre in and of itself; it's a setting. So if you're making a Sci-Fi movie, all that means is that it takes place in space or features technology that hasn't been invented yet. You still have to decide whether it's going to be an action film, a romance, a psychological thriller, or whatever. I think the same is true of musicals. How many songs a film has doesn't really matter; if the writing, acting, and directing are good and able to work together well, word will spread and people will come to see it.

And of course, with a film adaptation of a stage show that has quite a few die-hard fans, they have to find a balance -- they want a film that will please the fans without being inaccessible to those who've never heard of the show. Catchy songs are one way to reach new audiences, casting popular actors is another... but the most successful way is simply by having a good story to tell, which I think J&H does as long as they don't mess around too much with the script.

The show was quite successful on Broadway even though many of us consider that version to be inferior, so I think the film will have some staying power as long as they avoid the mistakes made by the recent musical films that weren't so good. It can't be basically a filmed stage performance (like RENT and The Producers), nor can it ignore the heart and darker aspects of the story (like Phantom of the Opera). Chicago, Hairspray, and Sweeney Todd managed to find that balance, so I think whoever Frank and Steve get to direct this film should understand why those films worked, and find the right approach to help J&H succeed in its own way.
All the people 'round here are as posh as can be;
You won't see 'em hobnobbin' with rubbish like me!
It's the snob bit, also called a façade . . .

Jekkie who hopes awesome singers/actors will be cast in the film!
Dislike

liss31d
Chorus Member
liss31d
Chorus Member

9:39 PM - Sep 02, 2008 #62

Fantasma da Opera @ 28 Aug 2008, 3:05 PM wrote:
liss31d @ 28 Aug 2008, 9:50 AM wrote: I notice that many are worried about a cinema audience getting bored with too many songs, etc... But a few days ago I went to see Mamma Mia at the cinema which was literally song after song after song and all of my friends really enjoyed it, even ones who aren't big into musical theatre. But then again, Mamma Mia is a very different style from Jekyll and Hyde - Sunny Greek Islands with an upbeat jolly storyline vs. Foggy London with an intense depressing storyline.
And don't forget Mamma Mia! has the ABBA facytor. Lots of people like ABBA even if they never heard the musical before. They go just because its ABBA... :rolleyes:
Haha yes indeed! It's certainly more of a pop musical than Jekyll... sometimes I don't understand why critics refer to Jekyll and Hyde as a pop style musical. I guess there are a few pop tunes like This Is The Moment and Someone Like You... but I wouldn't call songs like Alive, I Need To Know, Confrontation and Murder Murder pop style songs!
Dislike

rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member
rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member

3:13 AM - Sep 04, 2008 #63

Oh, I dunno, I'd love to see a boyband version of "Murder, Murder" :D
http://frankwildhorn.webs.com/index.htm
Dislike

GypsyPrincesse
Auditioner (Newbie)
GypsyPrincesse
Auditioner (Newbie)

7:04 PM - Jan 29, 2009 #64

I know this is an older thread, but I was just reading everyone's ideas and thought I'd contribute my ideas :D :D

With the incredible music in this show, I believe it requires a cast of wonderful singers. So my ideal cast would be...
Michael Cerveris as Jekyll and Hyde
Brandi Burkhardt as Emma
Anneliese van der Pol as Lucy
Colm Wilkinson as Sir Danvers
John C. Reilly as Utterson
And James Barbour as Simon Stride :D
Though if I couldn't get Michael Cerveris, other people I'd love to see play Jekyll/Hyde are James Barbour, Anthony Warlow, Philip Quast, Uwe Kröger, and Thomas Borchert. :)

I would include The World Has Gone Insane (immediately following Murder Murder, featuring a bloodsoaked Jekyll ;)) , If You Only Knew, I Need To Know, Girls of the Night and Bring On The Men. (among others, but I haven't thought of everything yet :P) I would leave out Lost in the Darkness and use the CW version of Confrontation and...do other stuff haha
I'll probably post more as more ideas come to me. :)
Dislike

Alexia Dark
Chorus Member
Alexia Dark
Chorus Member

10:55 PM - Nov 30, 2010 #65

For a movie version, I would do what I have already done to the musical script: base the story and timeline around the 1932 and 1941 films. Major changes include: the cutting of the Father and Stride subplots, the inclusion of Dr. Lanyon (from the novella) as the Chairman of the Board of Governors, the death of Sir Danvers, and no wedding.

Song List:

Act 1

I Need To Know
The Board of Governors
Pursue the Truth/I Must Go On
Facade (staged as a dance at the party - not the engagement party)
Father's Reasons (formerly Emma's Reasons, sung to Jekyll)
Possessed
Now That I Have You In My Life (adapted from the 1990 Concept album)
Girls of The Night (shortened)
Lucy Meets Jekyll
Someone Like You (yeah, that's right, it goes here now)
This Is The Moment (I'd cut it if I could)
The Transformation
Alive!
No One Knows Who I Am
Bring On The Men
Lucy Meets Hyde
Streak of Madness
Alive! Reprise

Act 2

Murder, Murder
No One Must Ever Know
His Work and Nothing More
In His Eyes
Dangerous Game
Reflections
Love Has Come Of Age ( from the 1990 Concept Recording, edited)
Sympathy, Tenderness
The Way Back
A New Life
Sympathy, Tenderness Reprise
The Confrontation
Facade Reprise
"Is there some common thread here? Besides all rich and dead, dear. Perhaps he's only just begun! Murder!"

That's right. I rewrote Murder Murder.
Dislike

Jekky
Auditioner (Newbie)
Jekky
Auditioner (Newbie)

1:28 AM - Oct 26, 2011 #66

Henry Jekyll is in extreme anguish about his plight, and he struggles to find a solution. This is an important motif. But it's only when he is in the lab that corrupt morals began to show up, for his pride and ambition in the transformation. I think that the movie should stick to the broadway plot, and maybe just borrow a few scenes from the MTI and FCLO scripts for plot gaps. Won't you agree?
Who in their right mind would cut This is the Moment from the movie? After the fame that it gave the show after its release? And it's one of Henry Jekyll's greatest songs. If that song was cut, then no one would go to see the movie.
This musical is not based off of those awful movies. It's an original story, loosely based and slightly true at heart to the Robert Louis Stevenson novel. Anyone who wants to defile a musical masterpiece like Jekyll & Hyde to make it look like an old movie is a complete juggernaut and should stick to knocking down their own sandcastles at the beach. Without people like you, Hyde would have no victims. Without people like you, Jekyll would not have done self-experimentation on himself. Yeah, I said it.
I think that the orIginal Broadway cast should reprise all of their roles, even if they need to be airbrushed. The cast from the complete recording, with the exception of Warlow and Eder wasn't very good. The songs that were cut from the Colm Wilkinson album were cut for a reason (Colm Wilkinson did great on the most part, but it's the songs. It surprisesme how young Colm Wilkinson sounds in this album). To add to my statement about sticking to Broadway, I think that Henry Jekyll should inject the formula, not drink it. The Way back has more meaning if he takes the formula during the song. And it makes all of his other transformations more dramatic, (except for The Wedding.
I think that this is what the movie needs.
Dislike

Fantasma da Opera
Leading Cast Member
Fantasma da Opera
Leading Cast Member

10:49 PM - Oct 26, 2011 #67

I think the movie should stay AWAY from the Broadway version and stick with the European/German script. It's the most coherent and cohesive one. As for the little details between drinking or injecting etc, that's up to the artistic direction of the movie. Either option allows some pretty cool special effects.
Dislike

Toru771
Supporting Cast Member
Toru771
Supporting Cast Member

5:56 PM - Jan 25, 2013 #68

I figured it would happen before too long considering the huge box-office and critical success of the Les Misérables film. Now there's big news from Playbill.com -- apparently, a company owned by Mike Medavoy (producer of a number of big films including Black Swan, Shutter Island, and the upcoming Robocop remake/reboot) has purchased the film rights to J&H and is looking to get the film made in the next 2 years. Frank and Leslie will apparently be involved with the casting, so here's hoping it will turn out well!
All the people 'round here are as posh as can be;
You won't see 'em hobnobbin' with rubbish like me!
It's the snob bit, also called a façade . . .

Jekkie who hopes awesome singers/actors will be cast in the film!
Dislike

pearsonella571
Auditioner (Newbie)
pearsonella571
Auditioner (Newbie)

2:40 AM - Feb 20, 2013 #69

2 years?! OMG can't wait! :blink:
Dislike

waronavd
Chorus Member
waronavd
Chorus Member

3:23 PM - Aug 26, 2014 #70

As I've already once sketched out a full screenplay for this, I can tell you confidently what I had in mind. First of all, it would draw (in large part) from the stage directions and imagery of the pre-Broadway stage draft dated December 6, 1996. Knowing Bricusse's work for film, I wonder if he didn't write this draft with one eye on the silver screen, given the quality of the material.

As for the plot and score elements, mine would be a mix of FCLO and Resurrection, which I think is frankly the direction the recent 2012 tour/revival should have gone in. Lightly revised FCLO, but with all the songs and dialogue from the Resurrection recording carefully inserted, was the way my screenplay basically worked. It's a lovely little potboiler -- graphic killings, a lot of blood, sexuality, a moral at the last minute, all the elements of an 1880s penny dreadful dressed up for the screen, with some terrific music to tie it all up.

I should look for that screenplay...
Dislike

TopHat44
Auditioner (Newbie)
TopHat44
Auditioner (Newbie)

6:08 PM - Nov 27, 2017 #71

You know who I think would be great as Jekyll/Hyde in a movie version of the musical? The guy who played Gaston in the live-action BEAUTY & THE BEAST movie (also played Bard in THE HOBBIT): Luke Evans.
Dislike

rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member
rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member

7:27 AM - Feb 27, 2018 #72

The movie I imagine musically would sound something like the Resurrection album. I guess it would have made life easier if the 2013 production had really worked out.
http://frankwildhorn.webs.com/index.htm
Dislike