Moderators: rockfenris2005, Tamara

Civil War 2: Freedom Song

philly0330
Leading Cast Member
philly0330
Leading Cast Member

11:00 PM - Mar 18, 2014 #1

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Fr ... yjPyoUxN_k

Looks like a "new musical" called Freedom's Song by Frank Wildhorn, Jack Murphy and Gregory Boyd based on Lincoln and the times of the Civil War is set to premiere as part of the Ford's Theatre 150th Anniversary of Lincoln's assassination.

Direction is by Jeff Calhoun (who directed "For the Glory" at the Ford's Theatre a few seasons back). This is an "epic, concert styled musical."

...... I feel like I have read all of this before. At least three times now (Civil War national tour; For the Glory at both the Majestic in Gettysburg and at the Fords)... Is this just The Civil War with more of an emphasis on Lincoln perhaps? Maybe this is new?

I've grown to like The Civil War score much more over the years...
Dislike

Canada67080
Leading Cast Member
Canada67080
Leading Cast Member

11:03 PM - Mar 18, 2014 #2

Ford's Theatre in Washington DC announced their 2014-15 season with new show "Freedom's Song" opening March 2015 with music by Frank Wildhorn.

Not sure if this is a new score or if it will use existing music from "The Civil War"?

http://www.fords.org/home/media-center/ ... 015-season

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Fr ... n-20140318
Dislike

Fantasma da Opera
Leading Cast Member
Fantasma da Opera
Leading Cast Member

11:04 PM - Mar 18, 2014 #3

Ok, so the show isn't really called "The Civil War 2: Freedom Song". It's called "Freedom Song: Abraham Lincoln and The Civil War" and according to BroadwayWorld "concert-style musical features the words of Abraham Lincoln and music inspired by those who lived through the Civil War. With rousing music and stirring speeches, the musical evokes the soaring hopes and tragic losses of the real people of Civil War America. Jeff Calhoun (Broadway's Newsies) returns to direct this lively historical opus. Ford's Theatre is developing this work as part of the Ford's 150, a series of events commemorating the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's assassination."

The show is by Frank, Murphy and Boyd. The team from The Civil War. So, in the end, if it's not a reash of "The Civil War" (like "For the Glory") then it will be The Civil War 2: Freedom Song" pretty much like Love Never Dies is really "The Phantom of the Opera 2: Love Never Dies".

And I'm actually fine with that since I really like Frank's score to The Civil War. It embodies the spirit and the images of America that are familiar to us in Europe and that we associate America with, even if the America it portrays no longer exists.
Dislike

Fantasma da Opera
Leading Cast Member
Fantasma da Opera
Leading Cast Member

11:25 PM - Mar 18, 2014 #4

NOTE: Well, seems we all three posted the same thing at the same time. So I've merged the three topics.
Dislike

rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member
rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member

4:06 AM - Mar 19, 2014 #5

How many musicals is he doing in the next two years now? Wow.
http://frankwildhorn.webs.com/index.htm
Dislike

Canada67080
Leading Cast Member
Canada67080
Leading Cast Member

12:56 PM - Mar 19, 2014 #6

Of ones confirmed I count 4?.... (Death Note, Mata Hari, Freedom's Song, A Christmas Carol).. 5 if you include Excalibur.

I would love a new show in Vienna. Since they are good at producing cast albums, and I just love going there :)

I too agree with this concept. The Civil War works best (can really only work) when it's staged as a song cycle/concert, and new songs focused on Lincoln and his letters etc.. could be a really beautiful thing.
I have also grown to love many of the songs in The Civil War over the years.
Dislike

rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member
rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member

2:00 PM - Mar 19, 2014 #7

Has anyone heard anything more about "Cyrano" opening in Prague? I remember reading that about a year ago, but then nothing happened. That'd be interesting to see.

Also: "The Glory" from "The Civil War" is a real stand out to me. That's amazing. It's a great score.
Dislike

philly0330
Leading Cast Member
philly0330
Leading Cast Member

11:48 PM - Mar 19, 2014 #8

I think they could make The Civil War more of a book musical.. a large ensemble piece, but that's not why they created it in the first place.

I actually think Sarah and Bill, the Southern General, the nurse, the female slave would ring true much more emotionally too then just a song or two each. Use Lincoln, Frederick Douglas, etc as a frame work. Who knows maybe I'm crazy. I'd be curious if it got better reviews as a "book-musical"
Dislike

Fantasma da Opera
Leading Cast Member
Fantasma da Opera
Leading Cast Member

3:02 AM - Mar 20, 2014 #9

Canada67080 @ 19 Mar 2014, 12:56 PM wrote: Of ones confirmed I count 4?.... (Death Note, Mata Hari, Freedom's Song, A Christmas Carol).. 5 if you include Excalibur.

I would love a new show in Vienna. Since they are good at producing cast albums, and I just love going there :)
Yeah, 4 or 5. That we know of =P

Honestly, Vienna lately has been a disaster. The new intendant of the VBW only produces pop-shows that are always a financial disaster (because the Vienna audiences are accustomed to quality shows.)
When Excalibur premièred in St. Gallen, I've seen more than a review that said "So now the quality Vienna shows are opening in St. Gallen instead".
I hope there's a reversal in Vienna and they kick that guy out of the VBW. Otherwise we'll keep having orchestras reduced and shows like Sister Act, Mamma Mia etc
Dislike

Canada67080
Leading Cast Member
Canada67080
Leading Cast Member

6:18 PM - Mar 21, 2014 #10

Yeah. Mama Mia will also be opening in Prague. Crazy

With "Cyrano" in Prague, considering the success of Carmen, I'm sure Frank can eventually get another show there. It's possible they pushed the production back. Also if they are planning on casting Czech pop singers again, a lot of it may have to do with their schedules. Just a guess though.
Dislike

Canada67080
Leading Cast Member
Canada67080
Leading Cast Member

6:41 PM - Apr 14, 2015 #11

I actually saw this a few weeks back. Probably as good as "The Civil War" will ever get. Extremely well directed. Very soulful and moving.
Highlights were "If Prayin' Were Horses", "Father How Long?", "Peculiar Institution", and surprisingly "The Day The Sun Stood Still" which was a new arrangement of sorts.
Dislike

philly0330
Leading Cast Member
philly0330
Leading Cast Member

12:17 AM - Apr 21, 2015 #12

Go a figure a year later I'd be living in DC, and plan to see this this week!
Dislike

philly0330
Leading Cast Member
philly0330
Leading Cast Member

9:18 PM - Apr 25, 2015 #13

I thought this was pretty good. I'd never seen a production of Civil War before, but was entirely familiar with the score. I thought that the beginning was a bit slow, and it was a bit cringeworthy watching the guys with the guns singing "By the Sword," but maybe that's because I haven't seen a musical in a while LOL. Darren Ritchie was great especially on (duet now) Judgement Day and Last Waltz for Dixie. The two stars for sure though are Kevin McAllister ("Father How Long" slave) and this wonderful DC performer Nova Y. Payton -- she gets to sing "Someday," "Freedom's Song," "Candle in the Window" .. I loved her voice!

Gregory Maheu gets to sing "Northbound Train" and "Sarah," which I thought made great sense and one of the good things the adapters did.

Lincoln's death (he's not a character) was done really well given the box literally overlooks the stage.
Dislike

rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member
rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member

7:36 AM - Feb 27, 2018 #14

Were there any new songs in this version?
Dislike

Canada67080
Leading Cast Member
Canada67080
Leading Cast Member

7:26 PM - Feb 27, 2018 #15

rockfenris2005 wrote: Were there any new songs in this version?
I saw this but honestly don't remember if there were any.  I think there were not.  Just a few different arrangements. 
Enjoyed it very much
Dislike

rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member
rockfenris2005
Leading Cast Member

9:17 AM - Feb 28, 2018 #16

Thanks.
Dislike